[slinkelist] Few Tips For Scanning CD Cover

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:09:29 +0200

Here are few things I found out the hard way (after 200+ scans).

1. You should scan the pictures with big resolution (I used 600 DPI for
cd covers 400 DPI for LP)
2. Optimal Scan area for CD cover is 11,85 cm * 11,85 cm
3. Then reduce the resolution with Propriet prog. (Adobe Photoshop) 200
DPI and size 480 X 480 pixels.
4. After that save as .jpg with picture quality 6.

This way I managed to get every picture file to size of 20 000-150 000
Kb avarage about 60 000.

Picture quality is good enough for 800 X 600 screen sezolution which is
max what tv-screen (VGA to TV) can handle.
There are greater rezolution available, but 800 X 600 is max because of
TV picture structural limitations.
1000+ rez might be ok for games but you just can't read text from tv
screen in 1000+ rezolution.
In normal tv even 800 X 600 might too much.

Scanning LP covers with 20cm X 30cm scanner, is a real pain in ... , my
advice is: try to get cd cover of those records or download pic's from
bands homepage.

I know this is not much, but at least a starting point for someone who
is thinking of buying a cheap (600-1200DPI) scanner and scanning all
his/her record covers (and vinyl's to MP3).
These settings were for Mustek 12000 -Scanner and Adobe PhotoShop 5.

-michael (A)