[slinkelist] bug: CDDB lookup truncation

John Shankland jns@interaccess.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:13:53 -0500

> On about 15% of the discs that I have CDJ look up via CDDB, I get a
> strange truncation error. It is strange becuase of its consistency. Here
> is the behavior:
>
>   - artist name is missing
>   - album title is truncated to 13 characters
>   - first track (first track on disc) name is missing
>
> Unfoirtunately, I don't see a way to "re-try" CDDB, because it appears
> that if CDJ thinks it already has the right info, you can't force it to
> do another lookup on that disc to CDDB.

G$,

I noticed that one of my disks had the first track missing and I hit cddb
again and it filled in.  I didn't notice the 13 character or missing artists
unless of course they were not in the data base.

You can have cdj query the data base again.  Hilight the disk that you want,
go to search disks and pick the look up selected button.  CDJ then will look
up that individual disk again in cddb.

BTW  I have used this many times.  I have taken the time to fix cd data from
cddb for the disks that I have.  This comes in 3 categories. 1, no data at
all,  2, missing artists for soundtracks and collections, and artist title
reversed.  CDDB requires artist first then title which seems backwards to
me.  Many of their disks have title then artist.  Interestingly enough they
have accepted every one of my changes.  I don't know if someone actually
looks at a resubmission of an existing CD to see why it has been resubmitted
and figures out that the reversed title/artist data has been corrected.

I use cdmax, a freeware program available from cddb's sight to do this.
Insert the offending disk in your computer and let cdmax get the information
that cddb has. Edit the information in cdmax and then submit. (actually
resubmit) .

It would be great if CDJ had this capability.

John Shankland