[slinkelist] Re: slinkelist digest, Vol 1 #230 - 13 msgs

Mullin, Dean M. dmullin@i-mom.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:03:14 -0400

Tom,

You can use cat5 for the slink-e connection with a db9 to modular RJ45
connectors at both ends (this is described on the nirvis web site).  That
takes care of the slink-e.  For the changers, I would recommend purchasing
the DXS unit with a (4 toslink input module) and (2 coax/2 toslink output
module) from nirvis and then running one coax line to your receiver.  The
DXS will handle all the switching from the changers automatically, and you
have a digital connection all the way from your changers to your
receiver.  I am doing the same thing, but the distance is around thirty
feet.  I have had no problems.  If you are looking for the best signal
quality this is the way to go as long as your receiver has a coax digital
in.  You will have to purchase adapters from radio shack that convert the
screw-on coax adapters to the typical RCA type digital connecters most
likely found on your receiver and on the DXS.  I believe people have had
success with this up to 100'.   This also allows you to add additional 4
changers by just adding more input modules.

If you are going to run analog cables, you may be pushing on the distance,
and depending on the number of changers, it could get expensive just in the
number of cables you need to run.  Good coax is relatively cheap.