[slinkelist] how do I do this?

Petersen, Chris (Eng) Chris_Petersen@NAI.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:49:12 -0700

I have also tried to do this to create mix CD's for my car.  I find it more
of a pain than it's worth.  The connection would be the Master CD's analog
output into your sound cards analog input.  You will need a RCA to stereo
miniplug cable for this - I actually have it set up directly digital, but
let's not go there right now.  I use EasyCD for my CD mastering.  With
EasyCD, you need to use the program "Spin Doctor". This program takes input
delivered to the soundcard and creates one big wav file out of it.  The
source usually will be Phono or analog tape, but any source can be used
(including digital).  Spin Doctor then has an option to search for blank
spaces and separate the songs into different tracks.

Now here are the problems with this process:

1) CDJ has no capability of inserting spaces in-between songs.  If the
consecutive tracks are on the same player, then you will get a space due to
seek time.  However, if the consecutive tracks are on different players then
there is no pause. At the best you can fade out, then fade in. This isn't
good enough for Spin Doctor.  One solution is to create a MP3 track
containing 5 seconds of silence.  Then insert this track in-between each
song in the playlist.

2) The analog path into the sound card is really bad.  It would be far
better to take the digital out of the CD player's and go digital direct into
your sound card.  This would require one of the newer sound cards like SB
Live and it would require a digital mixer like the DXS box.  I have tried it
this way and it sounds pretty good.

3) The dubbing process is very time-consuming.  With the process I
described, the initial dub from CDJ is in real-time;  Add to that the time
it takes Spin Doctor to search for spaces (amazingly long even on a
PIII-450);  Add to that the actual time it takes to burn the CD.

Conclusion:

I believe you would be better off just taking the CD's out of the Jukebox
and extracting the wav files from each song and then burning the CD.  DAE
(Digital Audio Extraction - the process of extracting Digital Audio from a
CD) can be quite fast.  My player can do it at 8X.  There are players that
can do it even faster.  This decrease in the amount of time to copy the song
would probably offset the time it takes to remove the CD from the jukebox.
Furthermore you get a very clean digital copy of each track.  You also don't
run into problems of separating tracks so you can do track skipping.

I hope this helps,

Chris