[slinkelist] Working with databases

John W. Schaaf jschaaf@wyseadv.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:07:30 -0400

Hi all,

I have been playing with a faster way to create playlists using MS Access and
user.mdb from CDJ and I have a few questions.  First, I am new to using MS
Access and VBA (but not new to computers or programming) so please forgive me if
I ask easy to answer questions.

1)  I just read in a post that there is a new DB format.  I have not upgraded to
the latest version, I think I am using 2.7 ( It is at home and I am at work so I
can't look at the moment ).  My question is, doing all this work in MS Access,
will I be able to bring in the new database format and record data?  I am only
using a couple of the fields to do the work, CDJID, Artist, Album name, Track
name, and track #.

2)  In a related question, I have brought the DB to work to do this.  Now I have
added new CD's at home, how do I add or import them or replace the DB with the
most recent data?

3)  I am exporting from MS Access to a plain text file for the playlist.  I need
to add "CDJ Playlist" to the top of the file and I have to decrement all the
track numbers by 1 (Colby, why is this the case when everywhere else we look, we
see the actual track numbers).  Below is the VBA code I wrote to accomplish
this.  My output file is garbage.  Any idea why?

*** Begin code ***

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Type Record ' Define user-defined type.
     Album As String * 9
     Track As Integer
End Type
Private Sub Command10_Click()

Dim FileName, Header As String
Dim MyRecord As Record    ' Declare variables.

Header = "CDJ Playlist"
Open "c:\download\playlist.pla" For Random As #1
Open "c:\download\fileout.pla" For Random As #2
Put #2, , Header

Do While Not EOF(1)
   ' Read the file using the Get statement.
    Get #1, , MyRecord ' Read the record.
    MyRecord.Track = MyRecord.Track - 1
    Put #2, , MyRecord
Loop

Close #1
Close #2
Exit Sub
End Sub

*** End code ***

4)  How can I prompt the user for the full path and filename of where to save
the finished playlist?  I tried InputBox, but it gave me an error and I would
really prefer to use the standard Windows "SaveAs" dialog boxes.

5)  How do I give my finished project to other people?  It is run within MS
Access and contains a query and reports and the VBA code.  I would love to
upload it to the Nirvis site once it is finished.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

John Schaaf