[slinkelist] save/compact

Ron Chrisley ron@chrisley.freeserve.co.uk
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:19:23 +0100

Sonnie/Jeroen,

Thanks for your replies to my messages.

You said:

>On the long save time I'd like to add that this was partially answered
>before (by Colby).

I guess one of the problems in general is figuring out whether my question
has already been dealt with or not.  This is made more difficult by the fact
that the list archives are not easily searchable.  I went to the headers
page for Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr and searched each for "compact" and got a nil
result.

>The first save takes long(er) after you updated to the new CDJ, because the
>CDJID changed and therefore the whole database has to be saved, not just
the
>changes.

Yes, I noted that I was aware of this in my message.

>The compact takes long(er) for the same reason (needs to save the whole
>Database and compact, which same as Access).

In the reply I just sent to George, I explained that I had never used
"compact" before, but soon after installing the latest CDJ (perhaps second
time running it) it happened on its own, which is what made me worried.  It
hasn't happened again, so it may be a non-rpoblem now (except for those who
will install it later).

>Normally you'd only have to save the changes which is very quick...
>To do this choose "File" and than "Save Library".

>If you save the library via the menu "Library", "Save All" the whole
>database will be written to disk, which lakes long(er)

I never save my library manually: I have it saved every 10 mins and on exit
automatically.  Everything is fine there -- it was only the surprise, long
compact which threw me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Ron