[slinkelist] Re: I-Opener Slinke PartyGUI

keith alexander alexanders@rocketmail.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

Oke Doke
I got lucky and got an easily hackable I-Opener.
I have installed a harddrive and downgraded it to
windows 98.  I added a cordless keyboard (had it but
25 bucks) and a Dlink USB Network adapter (30 bucks)

Total cost:
Iopener    99
Hardrive   50 (free for me I had 5 pulls and funded
the whole project)
Cables     15 (made my own)
USB NIC    30

This was free for me, but really a $200 PC.

Once the NIC card is in place the rest is easy.  I am
currently running everything on the iopener, but am
moving towards server in the closet and iopener as the
control box (two choices: VNC (easy/slow) DCOM (hard
98 peer to peer/fast)

My wife even thinks its groovy, she allows this thing
to be on the table in the living room (yeah!)  It is
set to suspend, so she gets instant on, email at the
couch, full CD control, and Macro control of the
lights / TV/etc (very star trek)  Now it just needs
the touchscreen.  This was why I was adding the tab
control to define quick button interfaces for
everything.

Not a detailed explanation but thats a start.

--- Gary Regez <glregez@qwestinternet.net> wrote:
> Using the I-opener and CDJ is a pretty interesting
> concept.  How about a
> short summary on the slinke-bbs, (if thats possible)
> of what you had to do
> to accomplish the task and maybe some of the pluses
> and minus of using this
> "netpliance".  I know I would be interested.
>

>  Thanks   Gary Regez

=====
Keith Alexander
alexanders@rocketmail.com