[slinkelist] Setting up SlinkX control on win98

Mike Macgirvin max@netscape.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:20:57 -0700

I've been following the instructions to set up slinkX as a shared DCOM
control on win98. When I try to enable it however, the first warning
which comes up (from dcomcnfg) says I need to be using "user" based
sharing control rather than "share" based (which I've been using
previously). I've tried to do this, but am unable to setup any user
accounts to share (user database unavailable, try again later). I'm
trying to use the user manager in the w98 machine to set up the
accounts, and point to the win98 machine as the user manager.

It seems likely that I need an NT domain controller on the local net to
manage the accounts, as win98 probably doesn't have the necessary OS
hooks to provide authentication services beyond allowing you to let two
or more people share the box with different profiles.

Can somebody either confirm this or point me to how to configure
user-based sharing (and get DCOM working) on win98 without requiring an
NT server?