[slinkelist] Ramsey FM-10A and FM-25

Alan Freeman alan@cdcontrol.com
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:33:00 -0600

Slinkelist,

Regarding assembly, it is very straightforward and not very aggravating.
The kit was like a Heathkit, where they have a check-list that you check off
as you add each component.  If  you know how to solder, then you will have
no issues.

Again, I don't remember how long it took to build the kit; I believe about 2
hours max. I think they suggest about 5 hours.  They must have been eating
Thanksgiving dinner, watching a football game, and sucking down some suds at
the same time.  That is a ridiculously high estimate, IMHO.

Regarding the sound quality, inconsistent with what Stan suggests;  the
quality is pretty darn good.  As Coby mentioned, you might have to use a
ground-loop isolator or a better power supply (more filtered) to eliminate a
little background noise that is apparent at first.  Once I lifted the ground
on the audio inputs, it was quiet as a church mouse.  I used the Radio Shack
"Ground Loop Isolator" - Cat # 270-054; $15.00

But, as an example, at our annual Halloween party this year, we transmitted
from the rack in the front of the auditorium to a 200-watt Pioneer receiver
w/speakers at the back of the room.  Basically all we 'lost' was the several
hundred feet of wire.  There was no noticeable depreciation of the music
and/or sound quality.  Again, this was with the FM-25.

BTW, the other unit they sell, the FM100 kit for $249, is basically the FM25
+ LPA1 + STC1 all combined with a few extra frills added.  Like an LED
frequency display and LED meters.  It is a bugger to assemble and I
recommend buying it assembled for $399.  I had to repair one once and it has
a multi-layer board and is harder to troubleshoot.

PS.  My links in the previous message were clobbered, so either cut and
paste them, or just visit their site at www.ramseyelectronics.com, click on
"AM & FM Broadcasters", then all the goodies will come up in the left frame.

Hope this helps resolve some of the questions.

 >(©¿©)<
Best regards, Alan Freeman
e-Mail: alan@cdcontrol.com