[slinkelist] Hardcore slink-e ActiveX programming question

William Hollingworth will@airmail.net
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 01:40:16 -0600

I'm working on a plugin for WinAmp to allow it to send and receive commands
via the slink-e server, much like how the CDJ automation commands work. My
aim is to then add WinAmp playlist support into my MiniDisc Manager software.

In WinAmp, plugins are implemented as DLLs. My idea was to create a hidden
dialog box in my plugin DLL that contained the Slink-e ActiveX control
(just like how you would do with a regular application that uses Slink-e).
I could then send and receive messages from the Slink-e control and pass
them on to WinAmp.

I've come across something that I'm not sure what is going on. In my plugin
DLL (written in VC++), I can make my dialog box OK and display it when
WinAmp loads. However as soon as I add the Slink-e ActiveX control to the
dialog resource, it won't load the dialog (.DoModal() returns -1). This
also happens if I add any type of ActiveX control.

So, my guess is that there is something special about using ActiveX
controls in a dialog box created in a DLL. Does anyone know of any such
restrictions or have any suggestions?

Does anyone know an easy way to load the Slink-e control directly rather
than "cheating" and loading as a dialog box control?

Thanks

Will