[slinkelist] problems with minidiscs... *sigh*

michael mcdermott molochai@mindspring.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:15:16 -0500

Colby Boles wrote:

> I make minidiscs using the JB920, portable MD, 5 changers, MP3, DAT, and a
> DXS without a problem. You mention that the C71 trouble mainly occurs when
> consecutive playlist tracks are on different discs in the same changer. This
> seems a bit strange, because in this case, the DXS should not switching
> inputs at all. It should be on the same changer input for the whole time and
> in such a case is not altering the digital signal at all. 2 things I can
> think of which would cause the DXS to switch inputs in such a situation:

I havent actually done any real configuration of the DXS yet since it
worked great right from the start, I didnt even apply the patch until a
few days ago and only did that just because I was upgrading cdj and
slinke serve also.

> 1) You have the DXS auto-revert option set to ON, and there is some other
> active input in the system. In this case the DXS would jump to this other
> input for the period of time no music is playing on the player you are
> recording from.
>
> 2) You have the output from the MD feeding into an input on the DXS. It's
> fine to do this, but you have to set it up properly. For the DXS output
> which feeds into the MD input, you must set the auto-sense mask so that it
> cannot select the DXS input which is connected to the MD output. The reason
> for this is that when the MD is in the record mode, the MD output passes
> what's coming in the MD input like a tape monitor loop. So when you start
> recording something from CD1, the DXS switches to it, the MD starts
> recording it and puts the CD1 signal on the MD output, the DXS then switches
> to this new input, which of course immediately vanishes because you are now
> connecting the MD in to MD out. If you have auto revert on, the DXS will hop
> back to CD1 and probably oscillate back and forth, assuming the MD doesn't
> just give up (e.g. C71). If you have auto-revert off, you'll just end up on
> the dead MD output.
>
> It's a completely solveable problem by adjusting the auto-sense mask, I
> think.
>
> Colby

I will try adjusting the autosense mask and see if that fixes it, I dont
have the output from the md player hooked to anything yet as I only use
mds in the portable player right now.

--
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?