[slinkelist] problems with minidiscs... *sigh*

Colby Boles cboles@nirvis.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:10:52 -0800

I make minidiscs using the JB920, portable MD, 5 changers, MP3, DAT, and a
DXS without a problem. You mention that the C71 trouble mainly occurs when
consecutive playlist tracks are on different discs in the same changer. This
seems a bit strange, because in this case, the DXS should not switching
inputs at all. It should be on the same changer input for the whole time and
in such a case is not altering the digital signal at all. 2 things I can
think of which would cause the DXS to switch inputs in such a situation:

1) You have the DXS auto-revert option set to ON, and there is some other
active input in the system. In this case the DXS would jump to this other
input for the period of time no music is playing on the player you are
recording from.

2) You have the output from the MD feeding into an input on the DXS. It's
fine to do this, but you have to set it up properly. For the DXS output
which feeds into the MD input, you must set the auto-sense mask so that it
cannot select the DXS input which is connected to the MD output. The reason
for this is that when the MD is in the record mode, the MD output passes
what's coming in the MD input like a tape monitor loop. So when you start
recording something from CD1, the DXS switches to it, the MD starts
recording it and puts the CD1 signal on the MD output, the DXS then switches
to this new input, which of course immediately vanishes because you are now
connecting the MD in to MD out. If you have auto revert on, the DXS will hop
back to CD1 and probably oscillate back and forth, assuming the MD doesn't
just give up (e.g. C71). If you have auto-revert off, you'll just end up on
the dead MD output.

It's a completely solveable problem by adjusting the auto-sense mask, I
think.

Colby