[slinkelist] Disappearing Disks

AndyStein@aol.com AndyStein@aol.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 00:38:55 EST

    I wonder whether the bad motherboards have a certain serial number so
that owners may pinpoint whether they have faulty chips before their
warranties expire.  I have two 270s.  I have had the first over a year, and I
have not noticed terrible problems.  Although CDs occassionally disappear in
CDJ, the 270 may not be the only culprit among all of my changers. (I haven't
paid attention to which players offend most, but the phantom CD problem does
not surface nearly as often as you have seen.)

    However, my second 270, which I bought refurbished from a Sony Outlet,
went for repairs immediately after I plugged it in, when I discovered faulty
analog outputs and what sounded like a slow changing mechanism.  While I
asked Sony to check the entire unit, I wonder whether it bothered,
considering the "refurbishment" of the original unit.  It would help if we
could narrow the faulty motherboards to certain serial numbers.

    Andrew