[slinkelist] Disappearing Disks

Ken Geoffrion kgeoffrion@hotmail.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:16:05 PST

It sounds like some of you are talking about the disks disappearing from
CDJ's point of view -- while others are talking about the problem I just
started having.  My problem is that some of the disk memos are being erased
on my CX260 -- they're still fine in my CDJ database.

It happens right in front of my eyes when CDJ executes a query to ask the
player what disk is in it (I can't remember the exact command right now).
This only started happening a few weeks ago when I did an Erase All to clear
out all the old disk memos, since CDJ leaves the old names in empty slots
when uploading disk memos to the players.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Peter Ronson" <pronson@ica.net>
To: "Dale Andren" <dale@theandrens.com>
CC: "Slinke-List" <slinkelist@nirvis.com>
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] Disappearing Disks
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:51:54 -0500

From what I have seen, the disappearing disk problem may not be related to
CDJ or Slink, but actually player and/or disk related.  I have seen this
happen on both of my two Sony's if the player is unable to pick up a disk
off the carousel properly, or gets it in the actual player mechanism such a
way that it cannot start playing - slightly out of alignment, badly
scratched disk etc.  CDJ reacts as if the disk has been removed and it
"disappears".  As we have found out, it will reappear if the disk is
searched for. Even then, I have seen it take two searches on a particular
disk in one of my players to successfully pick it up, and identify it.  I do
not know what the right solution is, other than regularly search for missing
disks - perhaps this could be done in the background by CDJ while tracks are
playing (assuming more than one player).

Peter.