[slinkelist] Help DXS questions?????

Sinan Karasu allahsiz@home.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:18:25 -0700

Michael Holopainen wrote:

[....]

Well, it appears to be an Intel motherboard CA810EAL
problem. I have a 1U chassis ( it is the same chassis as DXS
,same height , same width, except it is deeper), which has
a 600 MHz Celeron and 128 MB RAM running Windows 2000,
and is dedicated solely to control Slinke and DXS.

 MoBo has a Serial Port B header, which is connected to
a DB9 connector on a standard slot cover. Now since the
chassis is 1U, I can't add PCI cards to it, except one
by using a riser card. So naturally I am waiting for
a 1394 plus SPDIF I/O card ( not holding my breath tho', since
the card has USB , I might choose a solution in that direction).

 Now all that said and done,

 Config 1)

  COM1: Slinke
  COM2: DXS

   Result: Slinke works, DXS does not ( says could not boot up)

 Config 2:
 COM1: DXS
 COM2:Slinke

   Result: DXS works( could flash), Slinke does not..

 So I upgraded the BIOS... with no change in status.

 So it appears that
 1) Either the Serial Port header to DB9 ribbon cable is defective/wrong
    (which I highly doubt, since it buzzed out , straight Pin to Pin
with
    an ohmmeter),
 2) Or, CA810EAL has a serious problem....

 So the solution would be

 1) Get another mobo (Tyan Tomcat , or ASUS something)
 2) Get Slinke 2.xx ( I am using 1.xx) and put DXS on the Slinke
 3) See if I can get the CA810EAL repaired.

 I am open to suggestions.

 Sinan