[slinkelist] Help with Device Files

AndyStein@aol.com AndyStein@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:18:33 EDT

    I just installed the latest nonbeta version of CDJ (4/11/00).  I would
like CDJ automatically to switch to the proper input on my Yamaha RX-V995
when I select a track or disc, whether by double-clicking or by running a
playlist.

    However, the closest model I find in the Devices/Yamaha folder is in the
file yamaha_vs71360_rx-v890_dsp_receiver.cde.  Is the RX-V890, which I assume
this file controls, close enough to my RX-V995 that everything should work
with minimal change? I once had a significantly lower model number of Yamaha
receiver that appeared to use the same remote that my RX-V995 uses.

    In addition, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have one additional
dilemma.  The RX-V995 assigns names to each input, e.g., VCR, CD, TV.  The CD
input connects to one analog and one digital device and advances from mode to
mode--CD Auto, CD DTS, and CD Analog--with each press of the remote's CD
button.  I need CDJ to select the proper CD input (CD Auto or CD Analog) when
I choose a track or disc.  The potential problem seems to be that the RX-V995
defaults to CD Auto (digital) mode on the first manual press of the remote's
CD button, then advances to CD DTS mode on the next manual press, and finally
ends on CD Analog mode on the third press.  The fourth press sets the mode to
default CD Auto.  But if one sets the mode to CD Analog and then uses the
remote to switch to, say, VCR 1, the next press of the remote's CD button
returns the RX-V995 to its last CD mode, in this case CD Analog.  And if CDJ
wants to play a track on a CD connected to the CD Auto (digital) port, CDJ
will have no way to know in what CD mode the RX-V995 last sat and thus will
not be able to choose between CD Auto (digital), CD DTS, and CD Analog.  Can
anyone think of a way for CDJ to distinguish CD modes? Perhaps some kind of
counter could remember the number of presses of the remote's CD button and
thus would know the correct number of additional presses required to advance
the CD mode to the proper input.

    Since I cannot program, I remain unsure how to proceed.  Thanks for your
help.

    Andrew