[slinkelist] Help with Device Files

Thomas W. Humphrey TWHumphrey@fuse.net
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:06:34 -0400

Can anyone think of a way for CDJ to distinguish CD modes? Perhaps some kind
of counter could remember the number of presses of the remote's CD button
and thus would know the correct number of additional presses required to
advance the CD mode to the proper input.
---
One way to set up CDJ and the slink-e to have a "state", is to define half
of the parallel port's 8 I/O pins as outputs and the other half as inputs.
Then, put jumper wires on the parallel port to connect the four output pins
to the four input pins with, e.g., a 5 kiloohm resistor.  (The resistor
protects the slinke in case you make a wiring mistake or the I/O setup of
the slinke is set up differently at some point.)  Then, using a lowlevel.cde
device, whenever you want to save the state of a device, you can write to
the output lines on the parallel port, a four-bit state value, which will
remain there until you later want to read the state, at which time you can
read the four input lines which will have the four previously-written
values.

I'm not sure this will help you, however, since you still have the problem
that the slinke will only see IR and not the receiver's responses to IR.
When you see an IR command you will not know for sure that the receiver also
saw and reacted to it.  If slinke receives an IR the receiver missed, or
vice versa, slinke's state will be wrong, and could not be fixed.
Furthermore, if somebody changes the receiver input with the front panel
buttons, there would be no IR generated so slinke would not know this
happened, and once again would be out of sync.

Sony receivers solve this problem by outputting state information each time
the state changes, on the slink connector.  That, I think, is the only
reliable way to do what you are trying to do.  Perhaps your Yamaha has a
connector on the rear that outputs control information for other components.
If so, perhaps you can decode the Yamaha control information and manage it
with the slinke.  If you do, I'm sure many Yamaha fans in the CDJ community
will be indebted to you.