[slinkelist] mpeg2 ????????

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman@relax.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:32:44 -0600

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:02:00 +0100 (MET), Francisco Jose Montilla <pacopepe@insflug.org> said:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, George Tang wrote:
> 	Hi,

>> Well, I've also found that MP3 requires sooo much CPU processing during
>> playback.  On my 486/100, there's no way I can play MP3 because the CPU is
>> just not fast enough to handle it. Unfortunately, that's the machine that I
>> have CDJ running and Slinke hooked up to.
>>
>> In a few more month I'll get another faster machine to replace the 486, and
>> have the 486 just be a file server, which is stupid since hard drives are so
>> cheap now-a-days. Anyone else can think of what I can use the 486 for on the
>> network???

> 	Yeah: drop linux on it and use slinke-server, so that you can
> place it near the slink-e wherever appropiate, and access it from any
> other hosts simultaneously...

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  CDJ isn't able to connect to Slinke-server
(http://www.insflug.org/slink/software/unix/slinkeserver.php3) is it?

I'm very excited about using Linux to control my slinke and changers,
but I don't see being able to give up CDJ any time soon, but to be
fair, I must say that haven't yet checked out the Linux juke-box
programs yet.  I've just gotten stuff programmed so that a small remote
(I've got 10 of them) can be used in any of several rooms and "do the
right thing."  That is, control the volume on the correct amp, control
the playlist in some rooms, vcr in others, etc.  I'd be happy to dump
Windoze, but not CDJ.

--
Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman@relax.com
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home)