[slinkelist] mpeg2 ????????

Francisco Jose Montilla pacopepe@insflug.org
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:51:56 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Jay Pfaffman wrote:

	Hiya,

> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, George Tang wrote:
> > 	Hi,
>
> >> Well, I've also found that MP3 requires sooo much CPU processing during
> >> playback.  On my 486/100, there's no way I can play MP3 because the CPU is
> >> just not fast enough to handle it. Unfortunately, that's the machine that I
> >> have CDJ running and Slinke hooked up to.
> >>
> >> In a few more month I'll get another faster machine to replace the 486, and
> >> have the 486 just be a file server, which is stupid since hard drives are so
> >> cheap now-a-days. Anyone else can think of what I can use the 486 for on the
> >> network???
>
> > 	Yeah: drop linux on it and use slinke-server, so that you can
> > place it near the slink-e wherever appropiate, and access it from any
> > other hosts simultaneously...
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  CDJ isn't able to connect to Slinke-server
> (http://www.insflug.org/slink/software/unix/slinkeserver.php3) is it?

	Yes. But that could be easily (I guess) achievable. That server
simply pass along the commands, so it's a matter of (en|de)capsulating
them somehow and interface to CDJ.

> I'm very excited about using Linux to control my slinke and changers,
> but I don't see being able to give up CDJ any time soon, but to be
> fair, I must say that haven't yet checked out the Linux juke-box
> programs yet.  I've just gotten stuff programmed so that a small remote

	They're on an early stage, but evolving fastly. Is also possible
that linux gives greater flexibility in terms of targets
achievable/potential than windows/NT, so if enough people get involved,
I'm sure is going to be a great platform soon.

> (I've got 10 of them) can be used in any of several rooms and "do the
> right thing."  That is, control the volume on the correct amp, control
> the playlist in some rooms, vcr in others, etc.  I'd be happy to dump
> Windoze, but not CDJ.

	Hehe... We're open to all kind of collaboration, so if you have
any info/knowledge that could help us we will gladly take it. Is our
intention to support all kind of hardware devices available, but
collaboration from owners is a must if you want to speed up things.

	Greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
pacopepe@iname.com      irc: pukka        Seville	     Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org