Linux, Slinke, & CDJ (was Re: [slinkelist] mpeg2 ????????)

Francisco Jose Montilla pacopepe@insflug.org
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:40:19 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Jay Pfaffman wrote:

	Hiya,

> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Jay Pfaffman wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  CDJ isn't able to connect to Slinke-server
> >> (http://www.insflug.org/slink/software/unix/slinkeserver.php3) is it?
>
> > 	Yes. But that could be easily (I guess) achievable. That server
> > simply pass along the commands, so it's a matter of (en|de)capsulating
> > them somehow and interface to CDJ.
>
> So it sounds like either the Linux slinke server has to be modified to
> talk DCOM or CDJ (and every other app that talks to Slink-serv) has to
> be modified to talk TCP.  Modifying CDJ seemed like a good idea (I
> imagine that it'd be as simple as opening a TCP connection rather than
> using DCOM & then passing that file handle on to the rest of the
> program; that's probably a fantasy though) until I realized that
> having only CDJ wouldn't do that much good because I really want
> slink-saver and/or PartyGUI (which I still haven't tried because
> slinkserv doesn't work reliably on my system).

	Don't those apps work with CDJ? As long as they don't control the
slink-e device directly, and pass commands to CDJ, I don't see the
problem...

	Maybe there's a simpler approach, though. There are some third
party drivers to emulate a COM port under windows, that really connect
through TCP/IP to a server (there are a couple of them free for Linux, I
guess it was called modemd or something).

That way, and depending on the depth of hardware level that CDJ uses, you
can hook the slink-e to a linux box, using CDJ et al with a minimum of
fuss by installing that driver, and still be able to script the slink-e
under linux with perl, PHP or whatever, or even have multiple (you'll had
to coordinate them though) CDJ boxes access a central slink-e device.

	greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
pacopepe@iname.com      irc: pukka        Seville	     Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org