[slinkelist] System Configuration for MP3's and CD's

Simon Mason simon@themasons.net
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:24:05 -0500

How is the Ground Loop Isolator sold?  Is it a pre-built part or do I need
to do some wiring?  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com [mailto:slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com]On
Behalf Of Brian Cockle
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 3:55 PM
To: judd_pape@attglobal.net
Cc: slinkelist@nirvis.com
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] System Configuration for MP3's and CD's

I accomplish the auto switching with a simple entry in the event mapping
file I
use.

I have the device for my receiver loaded in the devices tab in the CDJ
options
menu.

In my system, the PC sound card goes into the Tape inputs of the receiver.
In
my event mapping file I have the following entries:
cdjr:using_player[cd1] {ampir:cd}
cdjr:using_player[mp3] {ampir:tape}

This will take care of the auto switching for different players.

As far as additional system configuration, I have done the following with my
device mapping file.

I set up an additional house code on an extra X-10 RF base so I could
interface
the CM11a into CDJ.  I wanted to be able to control my equipment from the
garage
and back patio area, but I didn't want to run an IR receiver and
transmitter.
Now, from a PalmPad I can do several things:
 - select different genres of music (country, soundtrack, rock, etc.)
 - build and play a random playlist using both CD's and MP3's (and the
mapping
example above switches the inputs)
 - Control functions of CD player and CDJ (next, previous, stop, pause,
etc.)
 - Control functions of the amplifier (volume, inputs, etc.)

It is by no means as fast as IR, but for me it is acceptable.  Probably
between
1 1/2 and 2 seconds for CDJ to respond to the X10 request.

One of these days I will set it up so I can switch between different radio
stations and different music stations available with the DSS system.  I
needed
something to do with all of the extra stuff one gets from ordering from
X-10.

I haven't received any reverb in my system, but I did have a grounding
problem
between the PC and my receiver that caused a constant hum in my system.  I
solved this by putting a Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack between the
PC
and the receiver.

Hope this helps,
--Brian Cockle