[slinkelist] System Configuration for MP3's and CD's

Simon Mason simon@themasons.net
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 19:52:32 -0500

I used a Radio Shack microphone/line mixer and got some very unsatisfactory
results.  Plugging each of the two line inputs (CD and Sound card) into the
receiver they work fine.  Running through the mixer certain MP3 songs sound
distorted.  The only difference I can see between the ones that sound ok and
the ones that distort is the kbs that they were ripped at.  Very strange.  I
am going to assume that the Radio Shack mixer just isn't doing it's job and
I will order the one you have.

-----Original Message-----
From: slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com [mailto:slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com]On
Behalf Of Gary L. Hunt
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:22 PM
To: simon@themasons.net
Cc: slinkelist@nirvis.com
Subject: RE: [slinkelist] System Configuration for MP3's and CD's

At 08:21 PM 3/15/2000 -0500, Simon Mason wrote:
>Which mixer did you use?  I was thinking of picking up a Radio Shack
cheapie
>for this but I wondered if you had a recommendation?  Thanks.
>
>>I'm taking the low-fi approach by using an analog mixer to mix
>>MP3s (from computer sound card) with the output of a Sony 200
>>disk changer into a single input on my receiver.  I also use the
>>same scheme to mix my 3 older Pioneer CD changers together
>>into (a different) receiver input.

The mixer I'm using is the MX-28 by Rolls, which I bought online
from synthony.com for about $80.  It has 3 unbalanced stereo inputs,
with up to 20 dB of gain (or cut) for each one.  The main and head-
phone outputs are also unbalanced.  (The 'pro' audio gear with
balanced inputs and outputs tends to involve a lot of level matching
for use with consumer stereo equipment, which I would rather avoid.)
All the inputs and outputs are 1/4" stereo phone jacks, but I just bought
a lot of phono plug adapters at Radio Shack so I could use standard
stereo cables rather than making custom cables.

I'm also using a Rolls RA62 headphone amplifier as a line driver to
drive amplifiers in various parts of my house.  (Didn't want to run high
impedance outputs too far--this has 600 ohm outputs.)  It has 5 input
channels, some of which can be separated from the main mix and used
as separate channels.  (Although I'd have to say that feature doesn't work
as well as I hoped, because there is quite a bit of crosstalk between
channels.  This is not surprising for a mixer, where it doesn't matter
too much--but it creeps into the 'separate' channels as well.)  Purely
as a source of multiple low impedance outputs for distributing a
single stereo audio channel, it works fairly well, although it cost
twice as much as the MX-28.

Gary Hunt <glh@srv.net>