[slinkelist] What is good sony A/V amp ?

Thomas W. Humphrey TWHumphrey@fuse.net
Thu, 25 May 2000 21:45:10 -0400

Michael:

You benefit from my recent research on this topic.

The STR-DE1015G is the only amp, if any, that might have with digital in/out
and visiontouch.  I never checked it out so it may not have digital in/out -
the STR-DE915, from the same model year (1997) had digital in/out so I
assume the higher end model 1015G had it too, but check first.  Sony dropped
visiontouch after 1997 so none of the amps after 1997 (higher than the
"..15" series) has it.

I also think you're stuck with a radio.  Not a big problem, you can simply
not use it...

Otherwise...

Sony's amps with single digital input, AC3 decoder (no digital out):
STR-DE725
STR-DE635

Sony's amps with three digital inputs, AC3 decoder and digital out:
STR-DE915
STR-DE825
STR-DE925 (also has DTS)
STR-DE835 (also has DTS)
STR-DE935 (also has DTS)

Slink amps:
All of the above have slink connectors.  So do the 705, 805, 905, 715, 815,
625.  None of these have digital.

None of the amps with digital input, to my knowledge, also have 5.1 input
jacks.  Its one or the other.  I know the 715, 815 and 625 all have 5.1
input jacks, and there are probably others.

I know the 925 has control-a1 so I would assume the 935 has that as well,
but I don't know.  Note - what the 925 supports is control-a1, for 200 disc
changers maximum.  I don't if any amps have control a1-II that allows more
than 200 discs; I would guess the 935 has it because it came out in 1999,
the same year as the 300 disc changers.

Also note, the amp can only control one slave changer, to allow selection of
discs from that changer.  This is a loser if you have more than 200-300
discs you want to control.  So control-a1/a1II capability is probably not
real important to you.  Use CDJ with my mouse emulator instead!

Another note: On the three-input one-output amps, the digital output will
only output digital received from the "DVD" and "TV/DBS" inputs; the third
digital input is "MD/DAT" and its signal is not routed to the "MD/DAT"
digital output.  Also, the AC3 or DTS decoder will not decode digital from
the "MD/DAT" input - that input is for standard audio only.

Finally: I own and recommend a 925 because it, and all other amps above 525
in the 1998 "..25" series, have "input indexing", which allows you to rename
the input sources.  So my amp says "CDJ" when I'm listening to CDJ.  Cool.
You can't get that on any other model year.

I know nothing about ES.  Hope somebody else can help you there.

Hope this helps.  If you really want to know any answers like this call
1-800-222-SONY (7669), and be prepared to ask multiple times until you get
somebody who gives you correct answers on questions you already know the
answers to; only then, ask questions for which you don't know the answers.