[slinkelist] connecting two toslink digital outs from two changers together

Sinan Karasu allahsiz@home.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 22:59:45 -0700

Yep. The problem is not only that digital signals are digital signals,
hence
never quiescent, the problem is also exacerbated ( means , it helps your
spelling
I think!) by the fact that each source runs at an ever so slightly
different
clock rate. That is the reason that the professional ADAT/DAT recorders
etc..
etc... have master/slave clocks. If you use something like RME-
hammerfall,
and ADAT equipment, the need for digital mixers with external clock
syncs,
become obvious. Now Nirvis DXS has cleverly bypassed this issue for the
consumers
for a mere $500-$600 as opposed to having to by something like a
hammerfall
for $800 and professional CD players/recorders/DACs with master world
clock
capability for around $10,000 and no changer capability. Granted, that
is the
directon I am going slowly, however I will never give up my DXS. You can
have
it when you pry it from my dead and cold fingers.

 BTW there is another way to do this if you don't want to have
master/slave
clock CD players/changers. You an build a computer with multiple SPDIF
inputs which will act as a "rate equalizer" by buffering the inputs as
much as needed,but than you are talking about
a $2000 cmnputer with around  $1000 worth of SPDIF I/O and enough RAM
buffer
to make sure that you don't run out of buffering space. ( and if you
love
Wagner Operas, buffer space can grow into hundreds of gigabytes of RAM,
but I am becoming silly now...)

Sinan