[slinkelist] Multi-room controls

Ivan Rostas ivan@vaa.com.au
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:40:45 +1000

Hi Guys

Firstly, what an incredible product Colby.

Here's my two cents worth re multi-room.

I have my home-theatre PC in a rack in another room adjacent to my home
theatre, where the Slink-E communicates controls my CDPCX450 and my STRDB940
receiver, and soon my VPLVW10HT projector.

I use a Logitech Wireless RF Keyboard that seems to work beautifully despite
the RF nightmare in the rack itself.  My Sony VPLVW10HT outputs the PC
display, including CDJ.  (I want to write a little program that pops up a
genlocked control panel that incorporates all the devices in the system over
the top of whatever video signal is being outputted - but maybe I'm getting
ahead of myself...)

If I go upstairs to a networked PC in a bedroom or living room, I run
Seagate Proxy on all machines, which ala PC Anywhere and VNC, gives me
transparent proxy access to any PC, using TCP/IP, I think. (- the setup was
invisible, I havent even had to look at network settings...)

All works nicely for me.

On a new tangent - I wonder if I get an infra-red interface for my
four-channel lighting dimmer, one channel for the sconce lighting, one for
my reading light and one for hers, and the fourth channel driving an
inverting relay for my motorised projection screen to go up or down, maybe
Slink-E could learn all four IR strings, and maybe just maybe I won't have
to buy AMX to get it all to sing.

Cheers

Ivan Rostas
Gold Coast