[slinkelist] Re: Digital Audio Reciever

Thomas W. Humphrey TWHumphrey@fuse.net
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:30:26 -0500

Awesome, another MIT alum in the slinke community!  I was course 6-1, class
of '88.

My suggestion would be to buy yourself a Ramsey FM-10A bootleg FM
transmitter, set it up to put the audio out of your changers on an unused FM
station.  You can then get medium quality slink-e audio, wirelessly,
anywhere you have a radio, including your backyard, bedroom, etc.  I use
this in my house and it is a good solution.

Tom Humphrey
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Morgenlender" <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu>
To: <slinkelist@nirvis.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] Re: Digital Audio Reciever

I've been enjoying this discussion!  It's gotten me to thinking about my
short-term needs.  I've got my CD players, PC running CDJ & Slink-e on one
end
of the house.  I'd love to be able to play music from these players
throughout
the house.  But most importantly, I'd love to be able to play music in a
room on
the opposite end of the house;  the room has a stereo, PC & network
connection.

Presumably, I can use SlinkeServ to run CDJ from the PC in that room.  But
that
doesn't get the audio into that room.  I'd like, but don't need, great audio
quality there;  an analog output from PC sound card to stereo is adequate.
Can
you suggest any relatively simple way to accomplish this?  It seems like the
key
would be the Slink-e room:  to connect a receiver or mixer (which I don't
have
yet) output to a PC, then somehow distributing the audio over the network
for
reception by the PC in the other room.  Otherwise, I guess there could be
stereo
distribution directly (without PC & network).  BTW, the CD players have
digital
outputs, but not the receiver.  Actually, digital distribution would be
nice,
but truly not necessary!

Secondarily, it would be nice to select & distribute into a room without a
network connection.  I suspect the solution here is to install network & PC,
although I'd really like to avoid that, especially the PC!

So ... any suggestions?  Can you recommend any place to look for info on
this
topic?  (I know little about home automation, other than the existence of
X10.)

Dave Morgenlender
e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu