[slinkelist] MP3's, WAV's etc

Gregg Sheehan greggs@dowco.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:49:31 -0800

   The most recent topic has been skirting around the idea of obsoleting CD
JUKES and replacing them with HD storage. Several points: A majority of FM
radio stations in North America currently use a LAN and WAN  type system of
music storage, organization and delivery. That is, songs, spots, segues
etc. are ripped into WAV. or MPEG Layer 2 files, stored on a big RAID array
file server ( not necessarily local ) and pulled off, when required, to a
work station or broadcast PC to be manipulated or to be broadcast.
   The storage medium is 16 bit full bandwidth with typically 3:1 or 5:1
data compression. It doesn't sound too much worse than yer average CD. With
HD's being as cheap as borscht, it's pretty cost effective, especially for
a commercial facility.The RAID array is for redundancy and hotswapping
drives but a home backup drive costs less than a CD juke anyway. If you
have a decent sound card, preferably an professional "outboard" style,
(generally better converters and less noise ) it's quite feasible to
replace many jukes with one PC. More and more source music is being
tracked, mixed, edited and mastered on the PC HW/SW platform every day.
There's also a pot of software available in this platform.
  For my money, MP3's sound like shyte. I can always hear a cyclic "phase
shifter" type sound within and a messed up top end. I suppose it's passable
if you listen on the typical crap PC speakers after 5 beers, but they
generally don't pass any listening on pro gear. Uncompressed WAV's sound
best but eat up a bit more real estate. Do you really need that
extra-special club mix of the latest Britney poo anyway ?
 The most useful aspect of Slinkee is the IR control part. Being able to
burn 9 or more  handheld remotes is a major bonus. I don't see much
discussion of the home automation uses of this cool product. What's up with
that ?

  auddoc@yahoo.com