[slinkelist] Wishlists

PaulMmn PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:26:57 -0400

That's illegal.  Making a copy of a CD -you own- for your -own use- is legal.

Making copies of -someone else's- CD for -your- use is not.

You're supposed to borrow the library's CD, listen to it, then return it.

If you want your own copy, spring for the bucks.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm ignoring any arguments about
the evil of the recording companies, their high-handed attitudes,
their predatory practices, their lousy treatment of recording artists
(ie the copyright goes to the company, not the artists (unlike books,
where the author owns the copyright, and the company just has
publication rights)).

I realize that for someone in school or without a lot of spare cash,
buying CDs can be expensive.  However, please remember that if your
money does not pay the company, the artist doesn't get any money at
all, and will eventually stop producing new music, and will go back
to his old job washing cars.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.nospam.com