[slinkelist] Remote operation of slinke?

Damon Permezel dap@damon.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:26:45 -0600 (CST)

John Chapman sez:
> Since everybody seems to be on the topic of remote operation...
>
> My problem is that I can't locate my PC running CDJ physically near
> the slinke.  I need a remote serial link.  To this end, I have
> purchased an Innowave 900MHz wireless serial link to connect the serial
> port of the PC to the slinke 20 ft. away, but have been unable to get
> the PC to see the slinke.  It sees and talks to a modem just fine.
>
> Has anyone else experimented with this or a similar product?  Anyone
> devised another clever way to connect their PC to the slinke?

I purchased an Entrega USB hub with 4 serial ports, plus another hub
which just has 4 USB ports.

A 6' cable goes from the windoze box to the 4-port USB hub, and then a
much longer cable (4 or 5 meters) goes to the 4-port-serial USB hub, which
is sufficient to get me to the next room and into the equipment closet.

This is really cool, as I needed 4 serial ports to be situated in that
closet:  one for slink-e, one for DXS, one for HomeVision, and one for
the Linn Intersekt.

You just plug these suckers into a windoze box and messages come up
indicating that new serial ports have gestated, and whalah, Viola, things
just work.

Only problem with the Entrega is that the serial ports are physically
close together, you have to trim the fat off the connectors.