[slinkelist] CDDB lookup problem (error 12029)

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman@relaxpc.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:12:51 -0500

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:23:41 -0700, John Shankland <sci4all@yahoo.com> said:

> Jay,
> Friday, August 11, 2000, 10:01:51 AM, you wrote:
JP> I've been having a similar problem when trying to access cddb.com from
JP> CDJ.  I get the error that says something like "can't connect.  It
JP> could be a problem with your Internet connection."  If I have CDJ get
JP> info from freecddb.org rather than cddb.com it works fine.  Of course
JP> freecddb has many fewer entries. . .

> I haven't had any problems connecting but I wanted to say let's all
> make a conscience effort to make freecddb have more entries. From now
> on when I find an entry not in freecddb I'll get it from cddb.com and
> give it to freecddb.

That's against CDDB's rules.  You really should type it in and then
submit it to freecddb.  But I'll never tell. :-)

> Does CDJ have a way to submit entries?

Nope.  It can't get quite enough information from the changer to
create the correct ID.  I suspect it has the correct ID after it's
done the CDDB lookup, but harvesting data from CDDB and giving it to
CDDB is clearly against CDDB's policies.

--
Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman@relaxpc.com
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home)