[slinkelist] GUI suggestions, a GUI poll

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:16:50 +0200

1. Edit / View  - mode : to put somewhere in options a "View only"
checkbox that disables all edits to the cdj (and saving library):

  So no one could accidentally drag&drop anything in cdj, or alter
album/track names or delete entries.
  In View-mode double-click of >enter< would be equal to "Play now" or
"Add to playlist" (the mouse pop-up menu is wayyy to intimating for some
people)

People not familiar with use of mouse (believe it or not but there are
those) tend to drag&drop when they try to click, and specially when they
try to double click, and that has disastrous effects in cdj.
And this is not only for those "computer handicapped", but for those of
us who use various wireless mouse/keyB combinations that sometimes don't
do what they are told.
I for one would like to see "just point what you want to hear and click
2 times, you can't do anything wrong"-cdj.
So anybody on the party could use the cdj, and I wouldn't need to worry
about my cdj-library.

2. The "Maps" have all kinds of events and actions, I'd love to be able
to program actions to key presses. What I like to have is
keyboard-events and cdj window actions. Actions that would bring to
front/hide, adjust size & position of specified cdj window (albums,
details, playlist). This would also solve the "save cdj windows
positions", you could write a script that places&sizes the windows to
your preferences on cdj startup (event)

I think these 2 would be greatly appreciated by cdj community, or ... ?
Cast your vote !

3. And personally I like the cdj windows frames/borders to be narrower
so that they would be able to display more data, specially the
image/details window. (every additional letter to be displayed is
victory ;))

I have emailed these suggestion to Colby, but I never gotten answer
(maybe my address was wrong) so now I try get more attention to this
matter. I know Colby is very busy, and maybe he thinks that these small
details too insignificant to justify the amount of work. (maybe he's
right) So I thought I'd ask the other user what they think about these
suggestions.

--"Would you fly on airplane controlled by MS Windows ?"--