[slinkelist] RE: Another Off Topic: IPMailer Utility

Brian Cockle bcockle@access1.net
Thu, 04 May 2000 09:24:48 -0700

I need to apologize to anyone who tried to access my web page and
couldn't get connected.  Shortly after I posted my original message to
the list, my ISP's system went down and all web services were
unavailable Tuesday afternoon to late Wednesday afternoon.  It is back
up now, and if anyone is still interested, my original message and URL
follows.  It figures that the first time I do something like this, that
the worse would happen...

Thanks,
--Brian Cockle

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Another Off Topic: IPMailer Utility
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:24:44 -0700
From: Brian Cockle <bcockle@access1.net>
To: "slinkelist@nirvis.com" <slinkelist@nirvis.com>

Although this is slightly off topic as well, I have written a little
utility I thought others may find useful.  It is called IPMailer and is
available for download at http://members.access1.net/bcockle.  It is a
small Delphi app and I have only tested it on Win9x.  I'm not sure if or
how it will run under WinNT or Win2000.  I wrote the utility to simplify
connecting to my home PC that is attached to the slink-e over the
internet via a DHCP dialup connection.  Does that make sense?  The
ultimate goal is to have streaming audio playing from my CD/MP3
collection and be able to control it via a web page.  This will just
simplify connecting to the PC via a web browser.  Before I would look up
the IP address of my dialup adapter and then write it down so I could
access the PC once I got to where ever I was going.  Now I go to the URL
above and click on a link that will autofoward me to my webserver at
home.

The utility can accomplish three things (all of which are more detailed
in the readme file).  The utility communicates this information through
e-mail and/or FTP.  After the IP address of the PC is selected via a
drop down box of availabe addresses, it will:
 - e-mail the IP address of the machine to any internet e-mail address
and/or
 - upload a file containing the HTML code to autoforward back to the IP
address of the machine.
and/or
 - if available, it will launch the software program WebCam32 and update
the ftp server to the IP address of the machine.

I will say that the utility isn't as automated as I would like.  If the
PC looses it's connection to the ISP, it will not automatically update
when a new session begins.  I hope to accomplish this in the future, but
I have not found a reliable way specify which device to use (note: this
only an issue when there are multiple NIC's, dialup adapters, etc.,
installed in the computer).

Anyway, I thought I would put it out there for others to try out.  If
you use it, let me know what you think.

--Brian Cockle